Sunday, July 7, 2013

vacations!

Summer is the time to relax, right? So far we are failing at that - but having a great time anyway. D and I went to Washington DC for a week to see uncle P in his natural habitat - we stayed at a snazzy hotel in Dupont Circle (Palomar). For D the first time on a metro or city bus, first taxi, lots of awesome museum experiences including Nat Hist, American Hist, Space, various fine arts (who can keep it all straight?!) and sculpture gardens. Also the ZOO, which was in many ways the highlight of the trip! We did a harbor cruise (at night - lovely weather and beautiful lit up monuments) and the double decker bus tour. Fourth of July was spent in the parade at LaClede (tiny burg), we have done this 4 years from the back of a pickup, but this year we upgraded to our hay trailer! Complete with hay bales covered in festive fabric, our motley crew has expanded to 11 with D on the cowbell! He did great, Jim played cornet and I played baritone, other highlights were the accordian, banjo and tuben (not confused with tubA, which we also had). Fun times, but on to the next trip to the Tetons! Soon we will be home for a couple of weeks in a row, and I'll be playing for the Fireworks (chop killer). Then the opera (Rigoletto), Les Mis and symphony opener (Pictures!). My face is hurting already. And I am really excited to play Bach's Wedding Cantata in November, with a world class soprano, I am soooo lucky! In non musical stuff I am still trying to do the C25K (couch to 5K) but I keep starting at the beginning after our endless vacations! Oh well, at least I'm doing something. D is taking an online typing course, he's already faster than I was after a year of HS typing! Of course, they didn't have computer games back then for motivation. He is most frustrated that the course won't let him backspace to correct --- hahaha! I should drag out my old electric typewriter and see what he thinks of that!

No comments: