Thursday, October 25, 2007

popcorn balls

Ok, I thought popcorn balls would be a great treat to bring for Ds birthday - wholesome natural food, right? Well, maybe there was a reason MY mom never did popcorn balls (that I remember!).

I got a recipe online, sugar sugar sugar! SO much for avoiding sugary food. But it said they wouldn't stick unless you used the real sugar jello, so I decided to just make it. Everything went ok until I spilled popcorn (pouring from the giant Costco bag I just dumped it everywhere!) seeds all over the floor. Of course this is happening RIGHT when the goop was ready - and it said you had to make the balls quickly. So I let Jim sweep up the corn and I thrust my hands into the hot popcorn/goop bowl - big mistake! Fortunately I didn't burn my hands much. So I got a big spoon which worked much better.

I am very worried about doing it quickly (as the recipe said!) and I start plopping out little "balls". Only they looked more like crumbling rock walls in ancient Ireland. This would have been a great history lesson, but of course I was panicking. Stupid balls. I try to mold them with my hands, but they stick to me - of course I have no grease or butter, but I sprayed Pam all over my hands (nasty feeling) repeatedly and that seemed to work. Turns out they have to cool down a bit before they will stay ina shape, and even then they fell apart, but it is gooey candy and the kids will love it.

Glad we did it, probably I wouldn't choose to do this again, but at least now I know what to expect!

2 comments:

carolyn said...

kind of gives one new respect for the time-honored rice crispie treat, doesn't it?
Carolyn

Jill Cathey said...

WHY didn't I think of rice cripies??? Practically the same but so much easier...

Anyway, the popcorn balls were a huge success.