Sunday, February 10, 2008

church musicians

It is interesting how the service comes together every week, always seems completely chaotic and then it goes without a hitch (mostly, that people notice). Of course, it is a struggle to not get blase about playing, and have a mediocre performance, when it really should be the best we can give (since it is technically an "offering to God" I suppose...)

Today I played 6 different things, 1 of which I knew about before I got there this morning. Actually it all went fine, but I have learned to write down if I'm playing the intro or not, and if I'm supposed to play certain verses, because I will forget! But the offering (big music moment) was going to be me playing an arrangement of the slow movement of the Bizet Symphony, very pretty. All went ok til the last note, didn't quite have enough gas to hold it more than a few beats (should have been 8) Oh well, I *wish* it had been better, but I doubt anyone but me and 2 other people had any idea it wasn't as it should have been.
I just need more inspiration to practice! If I was playing more I know that last note would have been there. I did get out my Laubin (teacher's old oboe) and thought about playing it today -

No comments: